In the far away 1920 this league was known as American Professional Football Association, but only two year later the eleven American football teams that originally created the league adopted another name, the name we all know this league after nowadays – the National Football League or short and notorious NFL.
The original eleven founder league members are nowadays expended to thirty two teams in overall, sixteen belonging to the American Football Conference, and these are:
• East division: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets
• North division: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers
• South division: Huston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans
• West division: Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Oakland Riders, San Diego Chargers The other half of those 32 teams belongs to the National Football Conference, and they are divided like this:
• East division: Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Red Skins
• North division: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings
• South division: Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Atlanta Falcons
• And in the end the West division: Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks
One may think that baseball is the American sport number one, but believe it or not, that person would be gravely mistaken. American football took that primate after the creation of Super Bowl, which is the annual championship game of the overall NFL division. If you don´t believe rumors, then simply believe the presented numbers. Namely, for example, the Super Bowl XLV that took place in 2011th scored the 111 million viewers that fateful night, which surely speaks volumes about the popularity of American football and the NFL.
The year 2013 has just begun. Let us enjoy the NFL matches and wait impatiently for more great football news of the off season, before we see who will stand shoulder to shoulder on the February, 2nd 2013 in the Super Bowl XLVII match of the year.